Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Resolutions Update

Hey there,

What a week it's been! I am thankful to have a job where I have a spring break to look forward to...despite the heavy snow and frigid air that showed up again.

I wanted to spend some time updating about my New Years Resolutions.  It's almost been four months since I started them. You can check out the original post here and the display here

To recap:

1. Read the Bible in a year
2. Maintain exercise routine
3. Serve Corey more
4. Spend less, save more

I've been pleased with the progress I've made thus far, but I by no means have gone at it alone! If I didn't have a small group that met weekly, friends who are health conscious, role models for marriage, and penny pincher parents, then I don't think I would have met any goals!

It is an incredible reminder how much I need others in my life to confront, support, edify, and relate to. As much as I don't want to let people in sometimes, I always find it such a joy to receive encouragement and wisdom when I do.

So are you curious how I'm doing? 

1. I am still on track for reading the Bible in a year. A couple of times I've missed a few days and needed to catch up. However, my attitude is different when I have not done my daily Bible reading. Some days I even crave it. And others days I just do it. But my recent prayer has been that the Holy Spirit would open my heart and mind to be transformed by what I read and ultimately used for the Kingdom of God. If anything, it helps me move the focus off of myself.

2. I have lost 7 pounds since December 1, 2012! I was hoping to lose a few and gain more muscle, but I have been encouraged by how much actually came off. I feel healthier and have begun to crave the exercise--especially as I see my body change for the better. As always there are days where it. is. way. hard. But it's always worth it. I also have an a few exceptional accountability groups/friends for exercise which has helped immensely. I'm doing a 10K in May and an all-women's half marathon in June. I'm also working on healthy eating--which has always been harder for me. Practice makes progress though! 

3. This is one I need to work on more :) In January and February I felt like I went through a rut with Corey. It was dreary out, work was insane, and I didn't have the energy to invest in him as much as I should have. We are both getting better at serving each other and focusing more on how the other person is doing rather than our own to-do lists and needs. The past month has been a big improvement. Living life with someone--where you desire to be intentional, sacrificial, and Christ-like--is hard. Marriage is a fun adventure but not easy. I've been thankful for couples who remind us that it's okay we're not perfect, but our relationship is worth working really hard for. And I truly am thankful to call Corey my husband!

4. I've had some ups and downs with this one. Working at Fossil can be tricky because I want to spend like crazy there. However, it forces me to be wise with my money (i.e. Not to spend more than I make), and it helps me realize that "stuff" is not what life is about. We've also been doing well at saving for a new car for me. We thought I had to purchase a new vehicle a few weeks ago when my car broke down, but thankfully we were able to manage with a repair. Hopefully in August I can pick up a Subaru Forester or Nissan Rogue. (Doesn't seem like I've been talking about a new car for forever?!). I've also been reminded through recent small group studies that who really cares what I drive, wear, appear like...because the "desires of the world, deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things choke out the Word and it becomes unfruitful." (Mark 4:19).

So there you have it. A long summary. I plan to do more updating on these issues throughout the year.

In the meantime, stayed tuned for a review of my Dad's 70th surprise birthday party and a few other fun posts. 

What goals have you been working on?

0 comments:

Post a Comment