Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fostering

Being a foster parent is never something I've felt called to do...or wanted to do. In fact, I've been pretty certain that it would not be wise for us to be foster parents. 

I can be pretty strict with separating work from home as much as possible (although I'm always thinking of it :)), and I am a big boundary person. Boundaries help me stay healthy, sane, and balanced...at least most of the time.

Well then there were two students at one of my schools. Without sharing too many details, their mom was mentally unstable, and their Dad just went to jail for drunk driving. I work with the older student, and welp, he is such a joy. My heart, as well as my amazing co-workers' hearts, melted. 

And then we had the conversation.

Should we become temporary foster parents of these two children, so they can finish out the school year here before have to move again?

Yikes. 

I was terrified, excited, hopeful, longing, and confused all at once.
(See kids that I work with, you CAN experience more than one feeling at a time!)

After much prayerful consideration, Corey and I decided that we would not foster since there were other foster (and possibly more appropriate) options available.

And then I found out today that the students will be moving out of state tomorrow.
They don't even know about it yet.

----

I can think about lots of transient students I've encountered. 
I can rationalize why this will be a better move for them, and now they will be safe.

But sometimes it's just a bummer. 
A bummer to see kids you love have to endure something that I probably couldn't even handle.
They are so resilient. 

----

I no means want to be a downer in this post, and I normally do not write about work stuff, but this one is difficult for me to stop thinking about in a new kind of way that I haven't felt in some time. 

However...

I am grateful that this year at school (and last!) they were loved beyond belief. 
I am grateful for servant-like colleagues
I am grateful for the opportunity to work with these little ones (and all my little ones!)

And mostly, I am thankful for God's desperate love and pursuit of them. He loves those kids even more than anyone else ever could, and I have countless reasons to trust in His name.

And trust that He has big plans for those empty rooms in our house--whatever that may look like.

So how about you? How are you learning to trust?



1 comments:

Leah Bradley said...

:(

Post a Comment