Sunday, January 5, 2014

2013 Florida Vacation

We are back from our Osbeck Florida vacation...and it entailed many adventures! 
This post will be lengthy, somewhat random as usual, and piled with pictures.

The sun was setting when we arrived on Saturday, so we hung around the condo and decided to scope out the surrounding area later. On Sunday we visited the Tampa aquarium due to it raining all day. We had so much fun!













Starting at 8:30pm that night, though, I began vomiting (among other things) at least once every hour until the anti-nausea medicine finally started working at 4:30am (I'll spare the horrid details). I haven't experienced a worse feeling of helplessness than being away from home with a severe flu while pregnant. Thankfully I didn't end up going to the hospital when I was able to keep down sips of water, and praise The Lord for baby Will's constant movements. Although I felt scared and exhausted, I was thankful he was safe. And bless the kind nurse I kept calling in GR and her wisdom as she assisted me through it! Corey, my mother-in-law and parents were so sweet through it all, but it did take me the entire next day to recover on a liquid diet. I laid by the pool in a blanket (it was chilly and overcast), and then tried not to think about the immediate plane ride home I so desperately wanted.


Praise The Lord for sleep though...that night I slept the best ever in 15 weeks! I didn't wake up once during the 8 hours, I didn't have nausea immediately when waking up, and I was in a deep sleep where I couldn't even remember my crazy dreams. I felt so refreshed and a million times thankful. Especially grateful for a overall healthy body.

**Disclaimer: I know you didn't really need all those details (who wants to read about bodily functions?), but this blog helps me cope with life either by writing about the painful events or writing about silly things to relieve my mind/heart of what I experienced.**

After having a jump start to the morning on Tuesday, Corey and I hit up the outlet malls and then took maternity pictures on the beach. Jenny is an awesome photographer!! You can check her out on Facebook at Jennifer Grace Photography. Here are a few sneak peeks:










**Side note: Jenny is also going to take one last set of maternity pictures for us in the snow when I'm a little bit bigger (only 3 more weeks until I enter the 3rd trimester!) Then I will put all our announcement/maternity photos, as well as newborn photos, including texts/emails from people, in a photo book for Will.**

That evening we brought in the new year with family shuffleboard (getting tips from a sweet old woman), games, food and fireworks. During Cranium I almost peed my pants a few times from laughing so much...a problem I've had since way before becoming pregnant. It was a blast :)


Wednesday we woke up slowly. I laid in bed thinking about how much I love Will already...thanking The Lord for his constant sea otter movements that aren't painful yet. It was nice to have a day (although rainy again) to reflect on this past year and anticipate the joys and challenges of the year to come. We are continually in awe that the Lord would allow us to care for one of his children, and I truly cannot describe how much I love Will already. In the beginning of my pregnancy I was excited but weary and more anxious. Although I still have those moments, I definitely feel the Lord's presence in this journey, and I am surprised at how quickly I've allowed myself to be shaped into a mother. Obviously Will isn't here yet--and I'm probably not really making sense (those hormones!)--but I am confident that Will is a gift, and I am so eager to be his mom.

Anywho, back to vacation. Although it rained on Wednesday, we took the day slow by reflecting, reading, napping and eating. Occasionally I got a run and some walks in and Corey was diligent about working out (of course). 

Thursday was our first day of sun! We were able to spend the entire day at the pool. Then Corey and I got all dolled up to go on a date night. We drove 45 minutes away to check out a brewery in St. Petersburg only to find it closed and be stuck in a downpour. 


I was insanely cranky. 


Let's look at pictures and forget about those bad moments shall we?



The view from our balcony










 




The brewery 


Friday was a whooping 50 degrees for most of the morning, so we decided to check out the zoo in Tampa. Corey and I have always loved the zoo. The bonus was that this one had manatees! We also went on a "safari" tour and fed giraffes. Such a great end to the week.





This rhino was born on Will's due date last year!
Rhinos look like Pangea

















That orangutan decided to cover himself in a blanket!

This penguin is not missing a head...just early morning stretching













We're going to compile everyone's pictures (so we have more than just pictures of animals ;)) and make a photo book.


Saturday was our travel day. We checked out downtown Disney in the morning. Although I'm not a huge Disney fan, it was neat to see the area, reminisce about my former family trips, and eat at Earl of Sandwich. Then we headed to the airport. Our flight was delayed, but after 7 hours in the airport we finally made it home safely by 2am this morning. 


All in all, it was sweet to spend some concentrated time with Corey and his family--they truly are a blessing. And most of all, I was able to be fully present with my husband which made my love, joy and respect for him grow even deeper.


Here's to 2014!

2 comments:

Amanda V said...

Holly, I love reading your blog! I felt the same emotions you are feeling when I was pregnant! Before Quinn, I didn't think I had a maternal bone in my body... it's amazing how being a mom changes you! You will be such a great mom to Will (LOVE the name btw!)!

Leah Bradley said...

You had me tearing up, girl! So sweet. You'll be a great momma.

Post a Comment