Monday, January 20, 2014

Windiana

This weekend we were able to rest at our dear friends' house in Indiana. As always, it was so wonderful catching up with Stac and Adam who are more like siblings than friends! We arrived late Friday night, so there was only time for eating (ha) and chatting. On Saturday Stac and I did a little bit of shopping (scoring some stellar deals for work attire) while the guys stayed home. They were in the same spots when we returned...drinking beer and watching ice skating. They are losers. Saturday night we were able to do more yummy eating, laughing, and truly lounge around as if it were our own home. Sunday we heard a great message from their pastor, had lunch with some of their sweet friends, and headed home in time for small group.

Our church started a new series called Satisfied, Discovering Contentment in a World of Consumption. It's based off a book our main teaching pastor, Jeff Manion, recently published. We had our first small group study about it this week, and already I am pumped. Gaining an new awareness of the items I've accumulated, and how much stock I put in them, is a necessary process. A word that continued throughout our lesson last night was balance. You can check out the sermon series here.

This week is pretty low-key. On Friday I'm looking forward to seeing a friend I've been missing, and Saturday we will hit up church and attend a wedding for a co-worker of mine. Sunday I'm taking a trip to IKEA with my sister-in-law, and we will continue with Satisfied.

I am eager to obtain the last of our decorations for the nursery at IKEA. Although some people are overwhelmed by the store or assembly instructions *Ahem Corey*, I enjoy being able to purchase cute things on a budget! It will be useful to have the Satisfied series in the back of my mind when I'll be tempted to purchase items not on the list. 

With that said, I plan to have the nursery done next week! I am so excited to have a "reveal" post about it. Obviously we won't have all the items from our registries, and the glider may not be recovered by then, but you will get the gist. And more importantly, I'm pumped to sit, pray, sing, tell jokes, whatever in there. Since you know, it probably won't ever be that calm once there's a crying baby enjoying the space! I also retrieved a journal for the nursery. Sounds silly but driving through cornfields gives you plenty of time to think. Corey and I did a lot of discussing about our future, and what we truly want to instill in Will is a spirit of gratitude. I'm hoping to write at least one thing I'm thankful for each day (or at least a few a week)...and continue the journey when Will has arrived and grows older. I'm honestly not sure how realistic of a goal this is to do with a newborn/toddler/young boy, but I thought it won't happen at all if I don't at least start.

And those thoughts about delivery I mentioned in my last post? Basically I had my first freak out last week about how in the world I would survive post-delivery...like the first few hours and week after Will is born. So many unknowns, but that's also what makes it exciting. So that's it for now...

How are you growing in this new year?

1 comments:

Stacy Hoeksema said...

Loved having you here! I am excited to see the nursery reveal blog post. :)

Post a Comment