Sunday, February 9, 2014

Generosity

Through the Satisfied series at church, we've been discovering (again) how wealthy we truly are. Obviously there are always people who have larger incomes, but compared to the rest of the world we, as Americans, are insanely rich. Although this is not a new or shocking statement to me (and I presume anyone who is reading this post), I still neglect to understand the significance of the statement. 

I have so many thoughts right now, but I can't keep to formulate them in a way I like. One thing from all of the reflections streaming through my brain, though, is generosity. 

gen·er·os·i·ty
ˌjenəˈräsitē/
noun

  1. the quality of being kind and generous.

We have friends who last year set aside a specific amount in their monthly budget to give away. I don't know the amount, and I certainly don't need to know. But what I loved is that they first sought to take care of others' needs before splurging on their own wants. 

As I continue to reflect, more ideas, thoughts and concerns flow in. But ultimately, Corey and I have decided  we want to live a more generous life--and start before Will joins us--to further the effort of raising him with a spirit of gratitude. 

Maybe that will look like more babysitting for friends, shoveling for our neighbors, a card for our mail carrier, serving our parents dinner, mentoring our nephews, or helping someone carry groceries to their car. 

For sure it means being more consistent about the obedience of tithing...as well as being intentional enough to listen to the Spirit as to other ways we can give financially and of ourselves. Both in the big and the small.

So tell me, in what ways has your heart been moved lately?


0 comments:

Post a Comment