Monday, May 19, 2014

3 Weeks!

Will is 3 weeks old today! 

I've been surprised by how much he's already changed! He's almost outgrown his newborn onesies, and he's finally eating like a champ now that he's formula-fed. And of course we think he's still as handsome as ever ;)

Sleeping these past three weeks has been a bit rough for me if I'm being completely honest. Of course I can be honest, this is my blog. It's something I couldn't plan for, and it has been exhausting in a normal, newborn way. Will has completely switched from the bassinet in our bedroom to the crib in his own room. I'm in love with our video monitor. He just started taking a 1.5 hour nap in the crib each day, and sometimes we get a shorter nap in there too. Otherwise he still snuggles on me or Daddy (hard habit to break ;)) or sometimes in his swing.

Will is laying on me as I type this. He may or may not have Skinny Pop crumbs all over himself. What a messy eater...

I think napping in the crib without his pacifier has allowed us to do a little better at night as the three of us figure out how this all works. We have had a few nights of...only waking up two times to feed, not having to constantly go put a pacifier back in his mouth, and then doing a few occasional is-he-still-breathing-and perfect wake ups. Those nights were so refreshing and keep me going during the long ones that seem to never end.

A friend suggested the Baby Wise book (thanks Christina!), so I've looked up some of it's sleep strategies, and I am eager to receive it in the mail. My goal is to have Will sleeping through the night by six weeks. Sleeping through the night=I'd be happy with a 4-6 hour stretch. Rarely we get a 4 hour stretch at night...typically it's a 2-3 hour routine. And often it's 2-3 hours of intermittent crying/fussiness for no real reason...this newborn thing is tricky business I tell ya. 

I know he's only 3 weeks, we'll have continual set backs, and we may not achieve it on my timeline...but it feels so lovely for the planner in me to have something to work towards rather than staying in this whole limbo/no schedule/I have no ideas phase. I have to take one day at a time and soak in his littleness while I still can though. And Corey has been our rock during this time...a great reminder to be thankful that I get to do life with him :)

On a random note, I left the house by myself for the first time in 3 weeks! I went to Meijer for an hour to get a slushie (obvious necessity) and print some pictures. I had not realized how insanely much I needed it. I didn't feel guilty about leaving, but rather, I remembered how much I need a few minutes of alone time. I'm a happier momma when I can recharge :) With that said, I am itching to begin running and lifting again. Exercise is so beneficial to my mental health, but I know I need to ease into it, so for now we're going on more walks. I'm pumped to take Will with me on some runs when he's older!

And now it's picture time!




 I love my little sweetheart!




His little newborn stretches and sounds are the best

Best buds already
(Mags likes to lick his diaper...ehhh)

At least one of us is getting sleep...

Who me?


"He said, 'My grace is sufficient for you. For my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comments:

Stacy Hoeksema said...

He has changed a lot! Such a cutie.

Post a Comment