Sunday, May 4, 2014

Will's Birth Story

With Corey running a few errands and Will sleeping, I thought I'd share parts of Will's birth story. This will be more of a timeline format as that's the easiest way for me to go about it.

Sunday April 27, just before we were going to leave for small group, I had a small break in my bag of waters. I wasn't even sure if it was my water breaking, but I called the doctor, and they had us go to the hospital just in case.

When we arrived at triage, I was still only 1 cm dilated, but they admitted us after two tests determined that in fact my water had broken, and Will needed to be born within 24 hours to decrease the risk of infection.

Before going to our labor and delivery room, Corey and I walked the halls of the hospital. I have no clue what floor we ended up on, but there were no nurses in sight...it was quite strange. But it was also fun to walk around giddy and excited about what was in store. We were finally going to meet our little guy!

After we moved to our labor/delivery room, my contractions still had not grown more intense or more frequent. I was given Cytotec at 12:30am and Pitocin at 6:30am which increased the severity and frequency of the contractions since it was a slow-moving process.

At 8:15am, my OB broke the rest of my water which thankfully continued to speed up the process. At that point Will was almost all the way down, but I was still only 3 cm dilated. I knew I wanted an epidural before the entire process began, and I received it a little before 10am.

Then we waited and attempted to watch some movies. During this time, I was given Phenergan for some nausea and since the epidural didn't fully take effect in my right side. Jello and popsicles helped make it a bit more enjoyable too ;)

Finally at 2pm, I was able to push!
I pushed for 2 hours (Will decided he wanted to come out a little crooked), and then we were able to meet our beautiful baby boy!

I was overcome with emotion, and I was so thankful not only to have our healthy little one placed on me, but also because it was "over"...he was finally here!  It's simply too difficult for me to write all the emotions and little details I experienced in this post. I'm leaving out some pretty sweet moments, as well as some meltdown details like "I want this to be over!" and "I don't think he's ever going to come out!" Those details are easier  to share in person, and more so for Corey and I to treasure.

And Corey? He was so incredibly encouraging during the entire process. I know they say your love grows for your husband after the baby is here/seeing him love our little one, but his protection, humor, excitement, and sensitivity through the entire process was inspiring. I bet you can imagine the humor ;)
And of course, seeing him with Will (and the countless kisses) is amazing. Ah. So amazing. Corey continues to provide stability and comfort when we're exhausted and learning how to best meet the needs of our little one.

Although this post really does not depict it, labor/delivery was the hardest thing I've ever done physically and emotionally. I greatly respect any woman who has carried a child.  But learning how to be a momma is rewarding already, and I cannot imagine life without Will. My love for him in indescribable. I know everyone says that...but it's because it's true.

So there you have it. A tiring process that is so completely worth it. I wouldn't have done anything different, and we are eager to soak in every fun, cute, and challenging moment. (Plenty of learning has already begun!)

But most of all, we are incredibly grateful to the Lord for His provision.

And now some pictures...

Walking the halls, having a grand time...who can say that while at the hospital?!


Meeting him for the first time at 4:35pm :)

8 lbs 4 oz
20 inches long


Look at that adorable arm roll!

Mohwak!

I'm so in love :)

Grandparents visited a few hours after he was born!

 Nana and Papa!

Corey's first diaper change--getting tips from the nurse



 Going home outfit

Mags & Luna have been doing great with Will--although Mags seems a bit depressed!

Starting our new life together

"I will extol the Lord at all times; His praise will be continuously on my lips." Psalm 34:1


PS: What in the world am I going to do with all the pictures?! I'm making a hospital/newborn photo book, as well as starting to organize photos for a 1 year photo book. But I'm pretty sure I'll have 10 million more than will actually fit though...so what do you do with all your photos? Blog about them every Friday? Print them? Just keep them on the computer? Suggestions are appreciated!


2 comments:

Abby said...

yay! so happy for you guys! there is nothing better than having a baby...i love love that special birthday at the hospital! ahh! you make me want another;) great pics...love his little mohawk! as for pics...you can NEVER have to many. we have 1,000's. most are on our blog, i use picmonkey to make collages so there not just endless. never apologize for pictures. they are moments and memories + looking back at them can take you right back to that moment. organizing by event//or date works too:)

Stephanie Jones said...

I can not wait to meet this little bundle of joy! It makes me so happy to see you so happy! I love it!

Post a Comment