Saturday, July 5, 2014

Kitchen Update Part 1

Well folks, the decision to paint our kitchen cabinets white was oh so tiring but fabulous! We wanted a fresher, brighter look, so we used the recommended Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation Kit in the Pure White color.

BEFORE


The previous owner had two-toned cabinets...

DURING
Step 1: Prepare & Wash (2 hours)
I moved all our counter top items out of the kitchen, set up extra tables, laid down drop cloths, removed hardware (with labels), and removed all the cabinets. I didn't not remove the hinges from the cabinets as they seemed a bit intense (aka too many screws to keep track of) for a novice like me. So instead we painted around them on the inside.

Once the cabinets were in their places, then I washed them with warm soapy water. I hadn't realized how nasty our cabinets were until I was up close and personal with them. After taking the cabinets off I also realized how how much I need to clean the insides, as well as organize (purge!) them. That will be for a later day. When the cabinets were off I taped around the frame on the wall, but not on the inside of the cabinets as suggested. I also didn't take the items out of our cupboards like they recommend. I wanted to cut corners when possible since it was going to be a long process...and it ended up being longer than anticipated.

Step 2: De-glossing (6 hours)
It was hard to tell if I was de-glossing enough due to the color of cabinets we had to start with. In the light, though, I was able to see a difference in the wood finish. This part took awhile because I wanted to make sure I was getting it all off even though the backs already looked de-glossed. However, I think I should have done it a bit more since it's such a crucial step. There were only a few small parts on two cabinets where I had not de-glossed enough, but eventually the paint stayed on. Luna enjoyed investigating and playing in the plastic while Maggie, Corey and Will took naps.


Don't mind the pre-showered look...

The top one is before de-glossing 



Step 3: Base coat (18 hours)
The kit suggests two coats, but before starting I read a few blogs that informed us of actually needing three coats for the white color. When we needed four I was really disappointed. However, I am very glad we did the fourth coat since it looks great now. Due to the amount of cabinets we had, we had to purchase a second kit anyway (for the paint only--we had plenty of de-glosser). Although dry times are 2-3 hours, when we were done with one part then it was time to do them again, so we didn't have to watch paint dry. The painting took about 3-4 hours at a time with two people working...so 2-3 coats a day. Our friend, Emily, graciously came over to help half a day before Corey was able to join in the fun. We were SO thankful for her!






2 Coats...





4 Coats...
There was a BIG difference when you looked up close!


Step 4: Glaze (Optional)
We opted not to do the glaze because I'm not a huge fan of how it looks. To me it dulls down the white, and it gives a antiqued rather than clean look. However, it probably would have concealed some of our imperfections better. But it's also more work and drying time. This project was already taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r!

Step 5: Top coat (3 hours)
I heard this was the hardest part--because the top coat dries so quickly--so I obtained some tips from my friend who did this a few months ago. She noted that you need to apply it evenly...not too thick or it would leave a milky color (which even on the white it did in a few corners) and not too thin because you can't go over it without redoing the entire section. Overall it ended up being a smooth process for us except for one tiny spot which turned pink! Not quite sure why that happened, but I read online that it did to someone else too. We let it dry for 24 hours before putting the hardware and doors back on.



AFTER



BEFORE/AFTER
What a difference!

THOUGHTS
Overall I liked the product because the white cabinets turned out lovely in the end. This project was extremely long (four days), but it was worth it for the white. Part of the reason it took so long when compared to a few others online is because...

+We have 24 cabinets, and some of them are taller than the standard size
+I was doing this by myself while Corey watched Will for the first day of prep & de-glossing 
+We were going very slowly/lightly the first two coats to make sure we did not have drips of paint
+I may have needed a fourth coat due to not de-glossing enough? 
+On one of the blog tutorials they suggested a foam brush. I think that was a big mistake. We used new synthetic brushes and foam ones. Although the foam ones were easier to use for detailing, I think that's why we needed an extra extra coat...it just didn't go on as thick. Live and learn. 

Even though our cabinets are definitely not perfect, we are proud of our work. And what's more satisfying is that this project only cost us $160. The kit was easy to use, and the DVD that came with it was helpful to watch beforehand. Also, having brushes in varying sizes with some smaller, angled ones was beneficial. 

I must say that Corey was seriously a trooper. He did such a stellar job, and he didn't complain one time about my desire to have white cabinets. Instead we were able to joke, talk and focus together while listening to Jack Johnson and classic rock Pandora. As much as we both hated paining, we made the most of it, and it turned out to be a fun time for just the two of us. But would we do it again? Probably not. Although I'm giddy about having white cabinets, our kitchen was too big and these large scale projects are not easy for us. I'm a planner and have-someone-else-implement-the-big-stuff kind of gal. I would definitely recommend this project for people with smaller kitchens or to those who enjoy painting though.
Corey and I will stick to a walk downtown with ice cream for our next date ;)

NEXT STEPS
For the next phase we are planning to replace the ceiling light over the table and add curtains. We're trying to decide if we should remove the blinds if we add sun-blocking curtain panels.

The last phase will be updating the worn out linoleum flooring. We already found ceramic tile we love from Lowe's. It looks like walnut-colored wood. Imagine the after picture with dark "wood" flooring...pretty, right? If you can't picture it, there are plenty of examples on pinterest. Anywho, the reviews of this specific tile are wonderful, and it seems ideal for children and pets which is terrific. We will have the professionals install it, since we would fail miserably, so these will hopefully be coming in a few months. Unless, of course, you or someone you know wants to be hired to do it for us at a lower cost. Wishful thinking? ;) 

OUTTAKES


I have scratches on my feet from Luna trying to attack from behind the drop cloths





Thank you for your help and company, Emily!




We made it two days before this happened...


 She had to sit right up against it...

And sit under the ladder I was standing on because of pre-4th of July fireworks

And sit on Corey's legs during more fireworks...poor puppy!

Hope you found this helpful!


2 comments:

Christina Winell said...

Looks fantastic! Way to work together and get it done! :-D

Joshua Hosack said...

So...how much does a professional charge to tile? Josh Hosack and I have done two bathrooms now, and I must say, we're pretty good at it. I lay tile, he grouts and cuts tile. I know the tile you're talking about, and that has to be easier than the things we've done (using patterns/different sized tiles).

Post a Comment