Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Stone Fireplace

One large project of the summer (basement update coming soon) is making our cheap, plain fireplace into a pretty stone one! 

 I saw a tutorial of Airstone on pinterest, and it seemed exactly what I've been looking for the past few years. I was able to transform our drab fireplace into a beautifully imperfect one in a very cost-effective way. 

BEFORE

AFTER
It looks SO great that I almost want to turn the fireplace on ;) I used some birthday money to purchase the majority of the kit--we used 3 boxes of corner stones and 1 box of flat stones. I started the project by using a simple hacksaw which the product recommends. It resulted in MAJOR work. After an hour into the project I gave up because it took 500 years to cut one stone. We ended up buying a low-end miter saw, as we needed it to finish some trim in the basement anyway, and it worked marvelously! Corey and I did the fireplace together while Will slept--he sawed as I planned and glued. It was fun to do this project together, and we are proud of our teamwork :)


Despite some of the flaws that make it unique, we cannot get over how lovely it looks! 


2 comments:

Stacy Hoeksema said...

Looks great!!

Miriam said...

You did it! It looks awesome.

Post a Comment